Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dark Shadows an Hour Too Long

By Albert Angulo
Sometimes you have a pretty strong feeling about a movie before you see it and my movie radar was going off like mad when I watched the trailers for “Dark Shadows.” This is the latest Johnny Depp/Tim Burton collaboration which re-imagines the 1960’s TV camp soap opera.
Depp plays Barnabus Collins, a man who was alive in the 1700’s. He was in love with a woman named Josette (Bella Heathcote) but had a dalliance with a maid named Angelique (Eva Green).

 Angelique got her revenge by having Josette jump off a cliff and by turning Barnabus into a vampire. She could do these things because she was a witch. Then she added insult to injury by having the townspeople bury Barnabus alive.

The movie does have some comic moments but they are not enough to bring this movie to life. It all plays out like a joke in which only director Tim Burton and star Johnny Depp are in on the humor. They seem to be enjoying it immensely but the audience and most of the cast are scratching their heads and trying to figure it all out.

This movie even made me do something I never do during a movie: I actually checked the time on my watch because I was so eager for it to be over. I just couldn’t wait for it to end; so I guess you could say that the Dark Shadows overcame Depp’s work this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment